Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A Gift for Jordy

Jordy turns 16 today. She is giggly and joyful. No kidding...she is one happy kid. What lies before her is a life ready to be lived. And she's glad to oblige. She drove away from our house today -- alone -- because she finally has a license to do so. Ready to find what's out there, she waved and gave me a smile that filled my heart.

As she left I asked God to watch over her and keep her safe. Because I know it's risky out there -- danger lurks. But I also know that security in the things of this world is a myth. So I pray that the Lord will do what is good in His sight. What more could a mom ask for? I trust that He has her in His sight. And He is good.

So Jordy, on your birthday, I want to acknowledge who you are to me and give you an important reminder. First, you make me happy -- completely happy. My sweet, sweet child. It is hard to find words to describe how I love you. New words -- that's what I need! Words never used before to illustrate just how wonderful you are.

Hmmmm.

Hmmmm.

Unfortunately, new words are just out of my reach. Hmmm. Will you settle for knowing that you smear sunshine all over my heart*?

Now for the reminder...

From Titus 3:

"...be obedient and ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate and to show true humility toward all men."

I love you, daughter.


*thanks to Johann Wagner for putting those words together so nicely!

1 comment:

Lisa but mainly Elmo said...

I know exactly what you mean. Clay had his first day of school last Monday.... AS A TEACHER. I thought I was proud when he graduated high school and then college. Thought I couldn't be prouder when he got married, wrong. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall his first day. And, to top it all off he's teaching Special Ed. Wow. Is he really mine? Ray keeps telling me I should be proud, why shouldn't I? I did it all by myself!!!!